Have you been thinking of revamping your marketing strategy? Do you want to adopt a strategy that can take your solutions to those who need them the most without breaking the bank? Enter – Direct Marketing.
Direct Marketing is a time tested method that can increase your revenue and generate more customers. As they say, some things are always better together. Direct and digital marketing fall into that lot. These two, when combined, can give your marketing strategy a good nudge in the right direction.
So, what is direct marketing?
Direct marketing is an advertising strategy that allows companies to directly connect with their target customers without the use of middlemen. This helps you to focus on the market that would be most receptive to your product or service. You can easily measure customers’ response to your campaign right away and thus design your future campaigns. You won’t have to wait for your ad to feature billboard or TV snippet to go on air. With direct marketing, you can test your market quickly, at a reasonable cost and with considerable certainty.
The goal of direct marketing
Just like any other marketing strategy, you have to set your goals in advance. The goal of a direct marketing strategy is to persuade customers to take action. A sale is, of course, the ultimate goal but customers may not readily make a purchase in most cases. They may, however, visit your website, request for more information, sign up with you and so on.
An essential factor that can help you to reach your goal is the “call to action”. This means you should include an enticing message that can persuade your customers to respond. It can be a discount on the next purchase, a free beverage for their order or a limited-time coupon. You can keep trying various tactics until you find the one that suits your business.
Tactics of Direct Marketing
The most common tactics used in direct marketing are:
- Email Marketing
- Flyers and brochures
- Text Messages
- Kiosks and stands
- Television infomercials
- Targeted online display ads
- Social media channels
Benefits of Direct Marketing
In a world that is fixated on SEO, implementing techniques like direct marketing may seem outdated. However, a little diversity never hurts. Marketing gurus always advise that if you want to reach the right customers, you need to explore different types of strategies. Like we mentioned, direct marketing allows you to promote your products or services to a target audience who are most likely to have an interest in your company, unlike mass advertising. You can also measure the results quickly. Following are some of the benefits of direct marketing:
- Connect with your target customers: Once you decide to employ direct marketing, you’ll have to dig deep to understand the preferences of your select audience. Careful research will lead you to discover important characteristics that help connect with your customers. This will, in turn, improve your brand affinity.
- Cost-effective: Since direct marketing allows you to focus on a specific group of customers, you don’t have to waste your marketing money on mass advertising techniques that won’t give you a good ROI. You can set realistic goals and improve your sales on a tight budget.
- Upgrade customer loyalty strategies: With each direct marketing campaign, you get to know more about your target audience. You can then customize your promotions to nurture the relationship between you and your audience.
- Analyze and test the results: With direct marketing, you can easily measure your results. Using these results you can easily make real-time decisions and get the most of your tests. You can also modify your future campaigns with targeted metrics.
How to improve your direct marketing campaign
You may have tried a hand direct marketing without receiving the desired results. Or you may be starting your direct marketing campaign right from scratch. It’s always advisable to review your strategy and find out what would be most successful for you. Let’s have a look at some essentials to chart out a successful direct marketing campaign.
- Update your customer database: Direct marketing is not a general advertising method. It is a customized message designed for a particular person to solve a certain problem. So, before building your strategy you need to know your target customers. An updated customer database is the foundation on which your campaign stands. Your database needs to have a record of previous purchases, pain points, expectations etc. This information can be gathered from social media polls, email questionnaires, behaviour analytics, focus groups. Once you maintain a clean database, you can easily identify opportunities cross-sell and up-sell.
- Make your communications personal: Today, consumers demand personalization in all of their interactions. No one appreciates cold calls or boring emails. For your direct marketing strategy to give measurable business results, you have to be creative. You need to understand the expectations of your customers and use innovative ideas to bring in a level of personalization in all your communications that promote brand loyalty.
- Use the right medium: The type of direct marketing that will suit your business depends upon your industry, budget and target customers. If your target customers belong to the older generation and are not frequent internet users, then print and direct mail are the best ways to reach them. For online customers, you have unlimited options like email, social media, paid search etc. However, you should always make sure to tread the fine line between healthy and misleading direct marketing. You don’t want to end up damaging your brand reputation.
- Test and analyze: Last but not least, you have to analyze the results of your campaign. This is the most overlooked part of a strategy. Once you know how many customers have converted from your efforts, you can identify what works for your business and focus on those conclusions for your next campaign.
There are many direct marketing channels to consider. When you integrate a number of direct marketing channels, you get maximum results. The above tips will help improve the performance of your direct marketing campaigns. Do you have any insights to share? Do let us know! We would love to hear from you.